Friday, January 13, 2012

The story so far . . .

 . . . as best as I can manage, at least.

As you can see on the right, there is a new widget so you can see what I've been doing as far as fitness.  Mainly running.  I'm sort of off and on with the pushups because I realize I need to strengthen my core and upper body.  Once I can get to twenty straight pushups, I'll begin some other type of body-weight exercises like burpees or something.

This week, I started something new.  I began running a loop at work.  It's an oval track that is 1/6th of a mile.  Yes it's boring, but definitely a challenge.

How you ask?

Well it's deceptive in it's difficulty.  I thought it was going to be an easy run around the track and therefore one hell of a boring run.

Let me draw you a picture:
  Distance around track: 1/6th of a mile (as stated above)
  Surface: Wood chips/slivers (more on that in a bit)
  Terrain: Very uneven, hidden by said chips.  Relatively flat on long sides, with about 10 foot drop on ends.

I've been running it with Steve, he's a regular toothpick looking runner.  He was surprised by my running ability.  I guess he thought this whole "barefoot" style of running would actually hurt me.  He complimented me on my form and speed.  What I found intriguing about this loop is how difficult it was to run it.  The uneven terrain and the chips make you have to lift your feet more, which is a weakness in my form.  A definite plus for me.  Along with surface, were the dips at the ends of the loops.  Coast down one side and climb up the other.  A good workout.  Put those together and I had to stop after about 11 minutes.

I was disappointed with that at first until the next day when I took my iPhone to use iMapMyRun.  I pulled out the same distance for the same amount of time that I usually do for the Toro Park Estates run.  That day also included the use of my Bikila LS's.  I won't be using those there again!

The first day I ran the loop, I had forgotten my Bikila's at home so I had to resort to using my Merrell Trail Gloves instead (everyday shoes).  It went great and was impressed by the track.  The next day I brought my Bikila's and suffered some problems with them.  Namely the wood slivers!  The main part of the shoes held up ok, but the instep kept getting punctured by the slivers.  There's a softer bit of rubber there that's mainly there for protection.  I will not be running with those there again.  A tad uncomfortable.  It's like running through goats-heads.  Oof.

  I've run three times this week for a total of about 9 miles and had a good hard trail walk yesterday evening for about another mile and a half.  That really got my heart pumping GOOD!  Great trail!

I'd like to go for another run, but I'm not sure what's gonna happen yet.  I'm waiting to hear back from my mechanic about my car.  I sounds like I'm gonna have to pay $600 for a smog check (O2 sensor, tune-up, smog-check, certificate, labor . . .).

But I still love my New Beetle.  She's been needing some work done for a while and I figured I have the money now, so . . .

GD

p.s.
lazy. run smiley :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

How'd I offend THIS time?