Tuesday, January 31, 2012

The running pain . . .

So I've had a hard time getting out and running.

It's not lack of motivation (though definitely a factor) it's also muscle soreness and hamstring pain.  The hamstring hurts enough that when I first start walking, I have a limp.  Once it loosens, I carry a normal gait though the pain is still noticeable.  I went for a 5k run Sunday afternoon and I had to stop because I was getting tired faster and beginning to ache bad along the hip flexor, thigh, hamstring and foot.  It truly sucked.

I've been using a rolled up towel and a bench corner to do my own version on deep-tissue massage.  It's been helping a lot, surprisingly.  I guess it loosens it up enough to allow whatever other muscles and whatnots connected to it to function properly.  I took a rest day yesterday and I'm going for another 5k this afternoon during my lunch hour.

If this continues, I'm getting me one of those handheld personal massagers to really work the friggin muscles.  I miss going out for runs!  According to DailyMile, I logged less than 8 miles last week.  I had been on an upswing when this crap started buggin' me and holding me back.

I've got to start logging in longer runs soon.  I have a Half-Mary coming up April 1st, 2012.  I have a countdown timer that says I have 60 days, 20 hours and 18 minutes to go.  Two months.  I've got two months to get to at least 8 miles non-stop to be able to complete The Santa Cruz Half Marathon comfortably.  I know I can do it if I can manage this hamstring problem.

I believe my feet are strong enough now to not cause me the problems I've had before when logging longer runs.  I've been better at keeping my runs up and consistent.  I believe my form is better (except for the hamstring thing) and I am trying to relax more on my runs.  When I'm feeling good, I'm running good.  When I'm feeling bad, I'm running ok.  That's definitely and improvement from when I first started.

GD

p.s.
too lazy to check spelling and grammar.  run smiley :)

1 comment:

  1. Believe me when I say it gets easier. Some of the early pains just stop after a while. I remember at some point last year when I thought about it, and I hadn't felt a calf pull, gotten a hammy strain, or had a side cramp in so long I couldn't remember when the last one was.

    Of course this changed lately with the toe problems and limited winter running, but I'll get back to the point where it's gone again.

    ReplyDelete

How'd I offend THIS time?