Friday, January 21, 2005

The Onion Girl

Like I said before, this was gonna be some sort of weird blog where one day it could be a diary . . . or whatever.

Anyway, for the last week or so I've been slowly getting through a fictional novel. It could be labeled a fantasy book. The Onion Girl by Charles De Lint. Now personally, I usually pick up a sci-fi book before anything else. I was an avid comic book collector for over 10 years before I just up and quit (Don't ask. Long story.) I've read all the Foundation series by Asimov. No serious sci-fi fan can be called a fan without reading Dune. I've read every single Dune series book. Even the ones written by his son.

Don't get me wrong. I've read fantasy books before. The Cheysuli Chronicles by Jennifer Roberson is a series that I highly recommend. Another fantasy series I've read is The Death Gate Chronicles. I think those were written by Margaret Weiss and Tracy Hickman.

Now, I love reading a good story. But I've always been disappointed by the way a book ends. They almost end abruptly for the most part. A very good example of that is Snow Crash by Neal Stephanson. When I was reading the book, I thought it was one of the most thought provoking books ever. It was a geeks dream come true. Considering when it was written, you could almost say Stephenson was an oracle. You read that book now and we're almost at that level of technology and government politics (Oops! Politics . . . I know. Sorry). That book had one of the best stories you could ever had read . . . until you got to the end. That was one of the most rushed endings ever. It left you so unsatisfied. Empty. Geez, I hate even thinking about it now.

Back to The Onion Girl. When I read the cover description, it intrigued me. It was a nice long story. I don't have the book with me know so I can't tell you how many pages it is. But suffice to say, get yourself a pot of tea set aside and settle down for one of the most satisfying reads ever.

I'm not gonna review the book for you. You could easily find reviews of it on the web from professionals. I'm just giving you what I took away from it. I'm a guy. I'm not into having warm fuzzy feelings and all that. But reading this book inspires the soul. Just reading that last line right now and, BOY, does that sound . . . feminine. I can't help it. I finally finished the book last night and I wanted more. Don't get me wrong. It had an excellent ending. There was closure. But like I said. I've never felt warmer. More at peace with myself.

I've always been comfortable with who I am. But this book just made it concrete. Read it.

GD

No comments:

Post a Comment

How'd I offend THIS time?