Thursday, February 09, 2012

Crossfit. Hmm, sure.


Actually I'm pretty excited about it!  So I found out there is a Crossfit gym here in town.  It's in the industrial part of town, sort of where you'd expect a Crossfit gym to fit in.  It's called Crossfit Ranch.



I gave the gym a call and asked if I could stop by, check it out and maybe get some info on what I need to do beforehand. My cousin went with me.  A couple of years ago he went through the Monterey Penninsula College Firefighter Training Program and completed it.  He got his ass beat during the program and when he graduated, he let go.  He's nearly as overweight as I am now so when I told him I was going to check out the gym he wanted to join me.

He's an experienced former gym-rat so I thought his input couldn't hurt.  Some of the trainers were there and we were given the "tour" by Tommy.  I think he's the main go-to guy and the one that puts up the posts on their website.  He was informative and very positive.

I've tried to go to a couple of gyms in the area before, but there was always a feeling of insincerity from the people there.  Again, this may have been me projecting my insecurities of being a fat boy in a gym.

The point is, I didn't get that feeling from ANY of the Crossfit Ranch personnel.  They were down to earth and I got the feeling that they actually accept new people as a challenge.  To see what they can push this new person to.  How good of a mentor/coach they can be.  They really got me excited!  I wanted to start that night, I was so pumped up!

Sadly, I've gotta wait til Monday.  Apparently any new-to-Crossfit members have to take a Fundamentals class.  And it's three classes that fall Monday, Wednesday and Friday.  One is a basic forms and technique class.  The next is an intensity class in which to see how far you can push yourself (that's the impression I got at least). And the last class is a refinement of form and technique.

The idea I got from Crossfit in general is that these are meant to eventually do on your own.  Eventually build up your own home gym and do your work-overs (to steal the term from Krista at her blog) at home.  I've got a full compliment (and then some) of Olympic weights, power-rack and other gym necessities that sit unused by me.  My brother uses the shit outta-'vum.  That WILL CHANGE!

I will absorb as much as I need from the gym there and eventually fly from the nest.  It'll probably take a year or more before I'm comfortable enough to go off on my own and return every so often for refreshers or just camaraderie.

Who'd a thunk I'd be looking forward to a Monday . . .

GD

p.s.
too lazy to check. run smiley :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

How'd I offend THIS time?