Thursday, June 02, 2011

Heyyyyy . . . . how YOU doin?!

True to my USUAL form, I haven't been keeping up with this blog like I keep promising myself.

So . . . I'll just do my best and use this as a log of my experiences of my continuing transition to barefoot-style running.

So far I'll say it been painful, but fun. It is something I've not done since my youth (the whole being mobile and bettering myself bit). I'd originally purchased the Merrell Trail Gloves and really got a kick out of them. I had gone for a regular run then finished with the Gloves for a 5 minute run.

OW! Not immediately, but I definitely felt the calf soreness the next day! But it kinda motivated me push further. I did start slow. Increasing the time in the Gloves a bit every time I went out for a run until I took them to my favorite 2 mile trail loop.

I wanted to ignore it, but my feet wouldn't let me. I'd bought a half size up knowing that the shoes were sized correctly, but when you begin this style of running your foot can begin splaying. And my toes began bumping against the front of the shoe.

Shit.

I tried a couple more runs with them, but it was really beginning to bother me. I gave the shoes to my brother. He loved them. He's 21, five foot six, compact and muscular. And his natural running form is on the balls of his feet. He started using them for his lite runs before working out with his weights (I should say MY weights. I bought'em).

I signed up for the Santa Cruz Half Marathon and he wanted to try it out. We had a good four months to train up. I didn't do much more than three miles a week so when it came time for the half, I ended up opting for the 10K.

My dumbass brother on the other hand . . .

I'd purchased the New Balance Minimus Trails about a month before and had been getting used to them. I knew I wasn't ready for a half. I knew I could finish a 10K in about an hour (finished in 1:10). I KNEW my brother had not logged enough time in the Merrells to complete a half comfortably and I told him so.

He didn't believe me.

His race started about 10 minutes before my 10K and he looked good. Great form and everything. Then my race began. I completed three miles before I had to stop and walk. I expected as much and I did those three in a bit over half an hour. Not as well as I'd hoped. But I finished the 10K in 1:10. But I finished and got my shirt.

So I waited for my brother.

And waited.

And waited some more.

Let's just say he wanted the meat wagon to show up. The meat wagon for those unfamiliar with the term is what they call the ambulance when a runner gets injured or has a problem in a race and cannot complete.

He could barely made it back to the car, his calves cramping all the way. He had to sit in the car with his legs fully extended so they wouldn't cramp even worse.

I was giggling the WHOLE way home. He finally realized why I told him to do the 10K.

Since then, he's been taking it slow. He's now up to eight miles and I'm still at three, but a fast three (fast for me). Average of a nine minute mile. Go for a 6 mile run with walking and I can finish in under 70 minutes.

My brother and I have the Salinas Valley Half Marathon coming in August. I want to finish in two and a half hours. If I keep up my training and the improvements keep coming, I believe it'll be closer to two hours.

That's it for now. I'll explain a bit more of my experiences of being a short(ish) fat runner in training tomorrow. With some luck, I'll actually do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

How'd I offend THIS time?