Sunday, February 26, 2012

Crossfit Ranch: Day 3 Afterthoughts

After Wednesdays workover, I was pretty sore the next day and got worse Friday.  By Friday evening, after the warmup, the soreness was nonexistent. I've already described what we did that night. What I didn't tell you was what I was feeling before the workover.

When I got there I got my pvc pipe and started stretching out.  Pops was there with me.  When I came time to do the actual warmup, Pops helped me out and described all the exercises we were to do.  We went through one round before the elite Crossfitters began the workover.

We had an opportunity to see what we were going to put ourselves through.

I hadn't done burpees or anything similar to it since high school. Again, a reminder, I graduated back in 1992.

There was a lot of people in the gym that night, more than I'd seen ever.  Apparently there's another gym in town that is working on getting their Crossfit certification and the coaches and members of that gym were over to compete.  There's a qualifying series going on right now for this years Crossfit Games.  Tonights workover was part of the qualifier.  Next week will be another.

I knew our coaches did the workovers, but I rarely saw them really worked over. They usually do their routines earlier in the day.  Every once in a while Tommy (one of our coaches) will be finishing his workover when we show up and we see him pretty beat.

Today we got to watch ALL our coaches bust ass like mad men. They did their seven minutes of burpees.  As the clock was counting down, the whole gym started getting louder. Pushing everyone to keep going, no stopping allowed. Once in a while you'd hear "NO REP". Two extremely frustrating words you don't want to hear when you can barely concentrate.

There were about 6 Crossfitters that did the workover before us.  Most were on the floor when that clock finally hit seven minutes, too exhausted to even speak.

I started getting nervous about this workover after the first minute.  By the time they were done, I was shitting bricks. I was psyching myself out, thinking "THERE IS NO FUCKING WAY I CAN DO THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!"

But Pops, ever the mentor, talked me back down to earth.  He reminded me that we had already done this, on Wednesday.

A quick reminder:
Every minutes on the minute
3 squat cleans
As many burpees as you can for a total of 50

I had to take that advice to heart and tell myself that I COULD do this.

I was still nervous, but now it was a weird anticipation. I didn't want to do it, but I was curious to find out how many I could pump out.

Jeremy was a coach from the other gym I spoke about earlier. He got us ready for the workover.  He had us begin the warmup all over again.  So I ended up doing 3 rounds of the warmup instead of the two.  Jeremy was a GREAT coach! He's very open and friendly and explains and demonstrates everything.

Anyone looking for a first trainer, Jeremy's your guy. Like Pops, he helped aleve our fears about what we'd just seen.  He explained what we had to do with burpees.  All we had to do was do the work right.

I completed 63 total burpees.

I'm am frickin sore.

I don't want to move my arms above my head.

I don't want to move my arms.

I wish I could do everything with just from my forearms to my hands.

But I've got things to do today and there will be pain involved.

As a cousin always reminds me, no I won't die.

GD

p.s.

to in pain to check grammar and spelling.  run smiley.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How'd I offend THIS time?