Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Crossfit Ranch: Day One Afterthoughts

Do you remember me mentioning the old guy the gym calls Pops?  Well last night he worked out with Anant (sp) and myself.  Anant is fairly new to this as well.  He's been here it seems a month or two.  Pops started 5 months ago.  Anant had a hard time with the workover. after the warmup. 

Just a quick refresher on what we needed to do last night:  21 Deadlifts, 300 meter run AMRAP 20 (As Many Rounds As Possible for 20 minutes)
Anant was working with 75 lbs for the deadlift.  He completed 3 rounds.
I was working with 135 lbs for the deadlift. I completed 4 rounds and finished all the deadlifts on Time.
Pops was working with 145 lbs for the deadlift. he completed 5 rounds.

Pops is a BADASS!  He's gotta be at least 55, maybe 60.  He was the Terminator out there!  He didn't stop at all! Deadlifts completed, BOOM! Run Completed, BOOM! Round after round.  If I fought through the near blackouts, I could've kept up with him, but I gotta work on my stamina.  The mass wasn't too much a problem . . . at first.

Starting out each round of deadlifts was easy enough. It's finishing the deadlifts where your heart is pumping real hard and you're causing pressure to your system by tighting most of your major muscles that you begin really feeling it.  On my last round of deadlifts, my vision was beginning to fade on the last five.  By the time the coach was calling out the seconds left to the workover, I was really starting to black out.  I dropped the barbell right when coach called time, and everything did go black for a second (I think it was a second).  I found the nearest power rack somehow and leaned against it while everything came back.

I think I was a bit sloppy on the last few deadlifts.  My back does ache a bit, but not from strain.  More like soreness.  Maybe it's just the way it's supposed to feel, I was doing deadlifts after all.  Pops was breathing hard, but he recovered a lot quicker than Anant and I.  I can't wait to get to his level, hopefully I can surpass it.

I'm still debating either going running or Crossfit.  I've got to do one or the other and right now, I think I'm still in favor of Crossfit.

GD

p.s.
not as wrecked but tired and too lazy to check grammar, run smiley :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

How'd I offend THIS time?