Wednesday, November 02, 2011

It's gonna get dark soon

And what am I gonna do?

I work out in the middle of nowhere.  It takes me 10 minutes to get to civilization and another 10 minutes to get to Salinas.  Then another 15 minutes to get to Toro Park because it's on the othe side of Town and it's nowhere near Highway 101.  If I'm lucky and traffic ain't too bad, I can get there in half an hour.  But most of the time it's closer to 40 minutes.

So, by the time I get there, it's almost 6pm.  During the summer, it's still afternoon.  Now it's WAY after noon and the sun is nearing the hills.  By next week, it'll be behind the hills and full on dark!  With the mountain lion spottings in the area, I will not be running those trails in the dark.

So what am I gonna do?

I have a couple of options available to me.  Neither are palatable to me.  But if I want to keep improving, me voy a tener que morder un huevo (semi-literal translation: I'm gonna have to bite a testicle.  Non-literal: I'm gonna have to bite the bullet)

One option that I have is to run in circles.  At a track. Blech!  On the plus side, it'd be safer.  No cars to dodge or cats to kick off.  It's at a community college, so people come and go.  It's a fairly popular track so there are people around, even after dark.

The bad, obviously, is running in circles . . .

The second option, which is more likely for me to actually do, is running around the neighborhood.  The positives, hmm: Not running in circles.  Just one big loop.  It's easily mappable on various running/exercise sites (my main one is Dailymile and I recently joined Fitocracy).  I get to wear neon-orange reflective vests and blinkie lights, so I'll look like a big flashing Jack'O'Lantern!  I'll maybe have to run from dogs and raccoons.

Seriously though, I am kinda looking forward to some night running.  I know the neighborhoods to run through.  Nobody will really mess with me, because seriously who's going to mess with a giant pumpkin that can run faster than you?  Not that I have a REAL bad temper, but don't fuck with me too much.  I'll let a lot of things go before I resort to tactical measures.

No. Not really.  My fuse is exceedingly long.  People try to get me riled up and I usually roll with it.  It's rare the occasion when popping your top can remedy an issue.

But that's me . . .

I'm gonna attempt a run at work in a bit.  It's a trail I used to love to walk but was a bit too much for running.  I hear 4 laps get's you about 30 minutes.  I'll see how it goes.

GD

p.s.
too lazy to check.  run smiley :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

How'd I offend THIS time?