Monday, November 07, 2011

Us Chubs and shoes . . .

I have a theory about why there are more fat people in our society now than before.

You have you obvious role of easy crappy food available for cheap.  The crappy food being LOTS of carbs in fast food, bread, potatoes, all different types of chips, cookies and . . . well, you get the idea.  I completely admit to all those sins myself. 

Along with the bad food, there is the lack of movement.  That's where MY theory is based on.

I sort of touched on it before when discussing shoes and fat people before.  I did more thinking about it this weekend and I'm really beginning to believe the Nikes of the world are partially to blame as well.  Man, the Nikes of the world are being blamed for everything wrong with our world now.  First it was running related injuries, now I'm blaming them for the state of obesity in our society.

When I previously posted about this, I mentioned that us fluffy folk should be using hard soled, flat shoes.  You know, a better foundation for movement and standing.  Cushy trainers will begin flattening out and the ankles begin to roll.  NOT GOOD!  With flat, hard soled shoes there's no rollin'.  Your posture is already improved, cause you gotta stand straight (though I still find myself hunched at times, though not as bad).

With your posture improved and your feet not going anywhere, you're standing longer.  You're moving longer.  With more movement, your energy level increases.  With higher energy levels, you move even more . . .

You get where this is going?

I'm noting this from personal experience . . . kinda.  I was never a big fan of trainers, as I've mentioned before.  But I did use them and my experience with them was so-so.  What I found was that I could only where them for so long before they felt suffocating.  I'd use them for "training" and then rip them right off my feet as soon as possible.  I liked my hard soled combat boots.  I liked my hard soled dress shoes.  I kinda liked my Chucks because they weren't as cushy as real trainers.  I liked my trainers cause they looked cool, but hated to wear them for extended periods of time.

I'd wear them to work every once in a while because I would go for runs during the lunch hour and I'd take them off when I'd get to the office and walk in socks (lax lab environment).  If I had to go somewhere on the farm, I'd put on my work boots (hard soled).

I walked around a lot, but not at home.  I'd potato.  I didn't know any better.  I didn't know someone could just go out and do things barefoot.  I'd grown up with the idea that you need trainers to do any kind of exercise.

Now I know better.  I still need to start training barefoot.  For now I've got my Vibrams and Merrells.


Let me know what you think.  If anyone even reads this thing . . .

GD

p.s.

too lazy to check.  run smiley :)

2 comments:

  1. Cushy shoes aren't my favorite for running either. If they're too bouncy that recoil off the pavement seems to go straight to a joint. Maybe it's because that bounce the shoes are supposed to give the traditional-sized runner comes back to them when they're pushing off the next step, but it hits me well before my foot leaves the pavement again.

    It just seems like the more bounce to the shoe the more my knees and ankles get the concurrent effect of both the weight pushing down and the shoes springing back up.

    That's probably why I like my shoes best as they're getting toward the end of their lives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You hit the nail on the head, Brent.

      You came to the same conclusion Christopher McDougall did in Born to Run (yes, I drank the Kool-Aid). Great read by the way.

      For me, I've never like narrow shoes and I always seemed to buy wide shoes. Wider than what was recommended. Whenever I wore tight shoes, the ball of my left foot would begin bothering me. I later discovered it was some type of neuroma. It's not an issue with wide shoes or these new-fangled barefoot shoes.

      Being chubs also kept me from over-striding. So no real heel-striking but my feet would roll a lot. Can't do that with minimalist shoes . . . well not easily at least.

      Off topic though, you've inspired me to keep pushing for more. I'm not running nearly as much as you do yet, but I'd like to get to that point.

      Thanks Brent!

      Delete

How'd I offend THIS time?