Friday, October 28, 2011

Does being fat help barefoot transition? part 2

So I was thinking about this some more last night and I don't think I was clear enough with my answer as far as fat people possibly having a relatively easier time transitioning to barefoot style.

You've all seen them, especially on TV when there's some new study saying that Americans are fat.  They won't show the faces so they pan down and show the fat people walking or standing from the chest down.  The bulbous belly, the trunk-like legs, the squished trainers . . .

Squished Trainers with the feet either bent inwards but mainly outwards . . . that cannot be good.  Before getting into this whole minimalist shoe thing, I always wore Altama combat boots.  The old-school ones with the hard leather insole and tough, hard rubber outsole.  I'd use trainers only for running and I was never really comfortable.  The closest I got to comfortable "tennis shoes" were Chucks (Classic Converse All Stars).

I prefer hard soled shoes (dress shoes) or be barefoot.  Always have.  Cushy shoes for me as an overweight person would only be comfortable for a couple of hours and then they'd feel suffocating.  I'd have this urgent need to rip them off my feet!  My boots I could walk around in all day.  I guess that's why a lot of fat people have a need to not move often.  If you feet aren't comfortable, you don't want to use them.

At my fattest (280 lbs) a few years ago, I was a couch potato.  I was the stereotypical lazy American eating junk food and not doing anything physical. I worked in a farm test lab and we'd have two days a week where I was physically active for short periods.  They were hell for me.  I recently went back to help out my old crew because they were short a man.  I have no idea how the hell I found the work so hard.  I hardly broke a sweat and it was FUN.

WORK ISN'T SUPPOSED TO BE FUN!  I actually missed it after that.

Going back to the whole shoe thing . . .

As a fat person, I wanted a SOLID foundation.  If I had to move or stand, I wanted hard soled shoes.  They were stable and didn't move around on me, they didn't give.  Chucks were a close second. I'm pretty sure other round people will agree.

I love my VFF's and MTG's!  If I have to go out somewhere I'm slapping on one of those shoes.  If I'm at home, I'm barefoot.  I haven't run barefoot really except for a couple of laps around a track.  That was fun, but I had some hotspots.  I may get into it more this winter around the neighborhood.

My point is, fatties may not consciously know it but they want something solid under them.  Everyone does.  Skinnier people are fine with their trainers because they don't squish out much.  But try putting 250 lbs plus in your shoes!  See how well they do then.

I'm still strengthening my feet and legs, but I feel like I'm getting closer to nirvana here.  One of these days I'm going to go out for a run and it won't be until after I've gone home that I'll realize how easy and fun the run was.

I'm working towards that day!

GD

p.s.
too lazy, run smiley :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

How'd I offend THIS time?