Monday, October 03, 2011

Not much this week . . .

I had that run on Monday of last week  . . . and then another one Saturday.

Saturdays run, I turned off my timer and just went with it.  What I've been doing for a couple of months is setting the timer of my watch for a minute and then go for 3 or 4 minute runs with a 1 minute walking rest and start up again.  I was getting bored with that and it seemed to be getting harder to just run (though I did have several good runs).

I started up my chronograph and did my usual half-mile warm-up run and 1 minute walk to get the body loose.  I always feel the initial run helps, like I'm breaking up the rust from the joints and muscle fibers.  I've NEVER started comfortably.  Then I just went . . . and didn't stop for the whole mile and change until I hit the fence.  And even then I went past it to the mile-and-a-half marker so I could do a full 3 miles.

I did my timed 1 minute walk and started up again.

I just let my body go and my mind ratcheted up.  I started thinking of a bunch of stuff, like what we could do to help my moms restaurant pick up more business.  I went through a few ideas which I noted when I got back to the car.  I was thinking about taking the daughter and my godson to Swank Farms to check out the maize maze (Maniac Maze) . . .

. . . The next thing I know, I'm back at my car.  I do remember smiling and saying hello to other trail runners/walkers and a bit of discomfort along the way, but I just relaxed what was buggin' me and continued on my way.  I tried a new stretch called the Asian squat and BOY, did that feel good!

If you've ever seen it, it doesn't look like much.  You'll find pictures on the web easily just by searching for "Asian Squat ".  Your feet are about shoulder-width apart and then you squat.  Your goal is to get your heels down on the ground.  You may need something to hold on to.  Being that I'm round, I still consider myself fairly flexible.  I can touch my toes without bending my knees.  I can even pull them up and get a good grip on my toes!  The Asian squat isn't easy, but only because I'm not used to it.  I'm not as comfortable as the guys you see in those pictures, but I'm round.  Because it feels so good, I'll be doing this stretch from now on.

There's also another stretch that's Asian related.  The Seiza, which you may have seen martial artists use when sitting on their practice mats or any number of movies with martial artists sitting.  Below are images and an excerpt from Fighting Arts.com. Clicking through will take you to the full article.  It's a good read and informative:

The principles of traditional seiza are simple. Upon sitting, the left leg is bent and moved behind, the toes of the left foot maintaining contact with the floor as the shin in lowered, the right leg being forward and bent. As your buttocks sink the right leg is likewise pulled back -- both feet now being supported by the toes. Only then are the toes allowed to move backward so the instep lies flat, the feet pointed in an a angle (they can be kept apart or the big toe of each foot can touch). The hands are then positioned across the thighs.


That may be more info than you need, but it'll give you general idea of what do for that. 

The Seiza hurts.  But I guess it helps ankle mobility and flexibility which is a plus for a "barefoot" runner.  But it fucken HURTS!  I guess it's because I have all this extra padding on me, you know . . . cause I'm round.

GD

p.s.
too lazy to check

No comments:

Post a Comment

How'd I offend THIS time?