Tuesday, October 25, 2011

My "Long" run . . . blagh!

Yesterday I posted that I had planned on running my old 4 mile trail.  I did and I did okay.  It just was a bit harder than I expected . . .

After the last couple of weeks of running the trail inside Toro Park to the Howling Windmill, I was finally getting comfortable and fast.  I was doing good time there.  I thought running the old residential trail would be a bit easier.  It kinda was, but not as easy as I hoped for.

As usual I started out a bit stiff.  The ankle was a bit of a bother and the funky leg was buggin as well, just not as much as last week . . . so I guess it's on the mend.  The problem for me was that I never really was able to completely relax.  What I used to do was that I'd run about half a mile which would take me about four and half minutes.  Then I'd walk about a minute and I'd be able to run comfortably and relaxed.  I haven't been doing that on the Howling Windmill trail because it'd be hard to get started again.  It's much more hilly and it's easier for me just to go.  So I thought I'd give that a try.

I should'a stopped.

I ran all the way to my usual turn-around for my shorter residential run, no stops.  I seriously considered turning back to just make it another 2.68 mile day.  But it'd bug me if I didn't do this, I had already told someone I was gonna run 4 miles. 

By the way, great motivation tool.  Tell people you're gonna do something and it makes you keep yourself in check . . . if you're honest with yourself first.

I walked about a minute and said "Screw it!  Let's do this Bitch!"  So off I went . . .

I had to stop one more time to that turn-around.  I actually kinda like the last quarter mile of this run.  There is this really rocky, gravelly path that leads to the bridge and it feels real good, what with my Bikila LS's.  It helps to wake me up and concentrate on my footing. 

Oh, speaking of which . . . I did press down on my big toe during the run.  And my ankle doesn't hurt as much as it did.  I'm also not as stiff.  I'm gonna continue this even when walking.  It seems to be helping.

By the time I got to the bridge, I was exhausted.  I walked up the hill (cause . . . there's a hill) and took in the view.  It was dusk and everything had that eerie look to it that also made everything look beautiful.  I guess it was the endorphins finally kicking in, but I was ready for round two!

I was still kinda stiff, but I felt a bit more relaxed.  When I got to the parking lot where I had initially stopped there was a hottie with a black lab mutt.  Nice.  I'd seen her before and she usually kicks my ass on this run.  I start out before her and she always beats me back to the start.  Teasing me with dat ass!

Another GREAT motivational tool.  Find something to run down!

Anyway, she saw me running from the copse of trees.  It looked like she had just arrived there and she immediately took off before I got to where she was.  Now what typically happens is that she begins to pull away and dat ass teases me until I can't keep going and have to stop.

NOT TODAY!  WOO HOO!

This time I was within 20 paces of her and I enjoyed that view up until the last half-mile where she had to stop and walk.  I passed by and smiled and waved to her as I did.  She just looked at me dumbfounded as I went by.

Boy! Did that feel good!

I made the run in more time than I wanted, about 43 minutes.  But if I keep up with this and don't get discouraged, I feel I can only get better.

I'm going for another run tonight.  It'll most likely be the Howling Windmill run cause I have to pick up my godson from practice.  Which is cool.  I think it's actually helping now, instead of hurting.

GD

p.s.
too lazy to check.  and REALLY run smiley >:)

No comments:

Post a Comment

How'd I offend THIS time?